As far as the Gridskippers’s race through India is concerned, the summer 2015 seems to be the summer of getting ready to get ready...
With end of the heat upon us, we have had a chance to sit back, take a deep breath of air, and then shout: “Dear God! What have we gotten ourselves into?!!”
For the record, YouTube videos…. Bad.! Bad.!! Bad.!!! As a hypochondriac’s attraction may be to www.webmd.com, my obsession became www.youtube.com. So many fellow Gridskippers/Adventurists have posted their own personal Rickshaw video experiences of this escapade onto YouTube... Initially, I told myself that it was important to view these videos. How else could I could make a list of supplies required? With that in mind, I grabbed a notebook, sat back, and began to watch…..
Now, it is has been at least two months this addictive ritual began, and I can assure you, very little has been written.
Although, I have seen many of the following:
- Significant amount of Rickshaw breakdowns (possibly averaging 3/day)
- Numerous Crashes… Small ones… Big ones… Medivac ones…
- People being pulled over by Big Scary Policemen
- People being pulled over by Big Scary Policewomen
- Sleeping in really nice hotels
- Sleeping in really bad hotel
- Sleeping in stranger’s homes
- Sleeping in Rickshaws
- Sleeping next to a camel
- Sleeping on the side of a road or possibly an alley
- Horrific driving conditions... No other word really to describe
- No real recognizable food options
- People being chased by angry or at least looked angry natives
- Grumpy adventure partners
- Hating on the “Navigator"
- Sometimes really grumpy partners
- Night Driving
- Rickshaws on Trains, Boats, and Trucks, just trying to finish
- Lots of Bad spark plugs
- Many helpful and kind people helping strangers on their journey
- A fantastic amount of money raised all in the name of charity
- A lot of horn honking
- A very hot trip in the desert
- A very cold trip in the mountains
- Two Weeks of smelling like Petrol
- Delirious adventurers
- Broken Bones...
- And the opportunity to meet and make lifetime friends.
The list goes on….
On the note of getting ready to get ready, as summer winds down and schools begin, it is time to start really warming up on the charity side of this adventure. So many things are planned that will help us support the public school’s Arts programs via Artsconnection!
Everyday you are being asked by others to give money to their own personal cause. Unfortunately in today's world and the dangers around us all, many times these monumental and life and death requests overshadow the charities and organizations such as Artsconnection. www.artsconnection.org Art programs throughout the US public school systems are being cut and reduced. Our sole purpose for this race and fundraising is to help make sure all children growing up today have the same exposure to music, art, theatre, and dance as we did growing up.
And if you still do not really want to concern yourself with that, at least support us and our crazy race through India! Even $10.00 will help!